We have an insect tolerant garden. When I see tiny holes in soft green leafy plants, I assume beetle, but rarely figure out what kind because beetles move so fast. More than half of the Morning Glory leaves have these distinctive beetle-holes in them. Well, this morning, one of the culprits was visible so I could research it and learn about it. What's that bug says it is Charidotella sexpunctata, sometimes called a Gold Bug. Both the larvae and adults eat the leaves of Morning Glories. Scarabogram gives more information online - a 1994 article by Louise Kulzer . The golden tortoise beetle is a stunning, vibrant metallic gold color. It has a magical quality, not only because of the brilliance of its color, but also because the brilliance isn't permanent. Metriona can alter color within a short time period, turning from brilliant gold to a dull, spotty reddish color. The gold color also fades when the insect dies. What controls the color while the insect is alive is an intrigui...
Comments
Isn't it a wonder?
Did you get to visit the Japanese garden in Fort Worth Texas? It is wonderful. So is the one in St. Louis and of course San Francisco.
Would love to hear from you - which ones did you visit and which were the best?
Hakone Gardens in California is my favourite even though it's quite small, I've been there three times now - I go every time I visit the States! I've been to the Japanese Tea Garden too once, that was beautiful.