30 October 2008

New-To-Me Seed Companies

This succulent is solid green in the summer. After the freeze, it turned a lovely pink.



A fellow gardener and a garden writer recommended two seed companies.
1. Chiltern Seeds in England at www.chilternseeds.co.uk
and
2. Pinetree Garden Seeds at www.superseeds.com/

Here's what I ordered from Chiltern
Calendula officinalis 'Dandy' Price: 1.60
Salvia horminum 'Oxford Blue' Price: 1.78
Corydalis lutea Price: 1.95
Calendula officinalis 'Art Shades' Price: 1.52
Cabbage 'Flower of Spring' (Heirloom open-pollinated pointed heart variety)Price: 1.43
Bean, Climbing French (or Pole) 'Hunter' (flat pods) Price: 2.23
Lettuce Mixed Varieties Price: 1.90

From Pinetree Garden Seeds I ordered
MAMMOTH RED CLOVER 1 1/2 LBS Price: $5.95
ALMA PAPRIKA PEPPER (70 days) Price: $1.30
WHITE POPPING SORGHUM Price: $0.95
ELEGANS CLARKIA Price: $0.55
PIMENTO PEPPER (75 days) Price: $0.75
CREGO MIX ASTER Price: $0.75
KALEIDOSCOPE MIX PEPPER Price: $1.95

The gardener who told me about Pinetree Garden said that the packets are less expensive than other providers because they contain fewer seeds.

Who do you usually order seeds from?

3 comments:

Carol said...

I love Pinetree for seeds. I order 80 percent of what I need for my vegetable garden from them.

Martha said...

Hi Carol -

No kidding! And, I just found out about the company recently from a friend who grows plants to sell.

I was looking through the Harris Seed catalog today and tore out the things I still want to order.

Now you have me thinking about Pinetree for the rest of the veggies.

Do they send out a catalog? Catalog reading is such a wonderful passtime after a busy outside day like today.
M

Botanical Interests said...

We don't mail out a catalog, but you can veiw all of our varieties on our website. We're a family owned company and we offer over 500 varieties, including many heirloom and organic varieties. Hope we can be new-to-your garden this spring!