Pompeii F-1 Italian Sauce Tomatoes from Renee's Garden Seeds

I signed up for the periodic email newsletter from Renee's Garden Seeds and saw that they had conducted field trials on paste and sauce tomatoes and decided that these were the best.

So I switched from the variety I grew last year and tried them, starting the seeds in Feb.

Verticillium and Fusarium Wilt resistant, the Pompeii Italian Sauce Tomatoes are starting to pump up the pressure to cook and can.
For the past few weeks, there have been 6 or 8 to cut into a pot full of other tomatoes, peppers and garlic to put up in jars. But this week, the plants can be picked every day. They have no juice to speak of until they are cooked. Very meaty. Renee's site says they are an exclusive and indeed I have not been able to find much of anything on the Internet about them. Cornell's site lists them at Reimer Seeds, too. Not available from Totally Tomatoes either.

Renee's is one of my favorite seed sources because for some reason I have better germination luck with them. Not every seed I have tried (culinary sage and mist flowers were exceptions) but the batting average has been much higher.

I'd like to know what's working best for you this year. Email me at mollyday1@gmail.com or post a comment.

Comments

Melissa1977 said…
I'm a big Renee's garden fan too and have been thinking of trying these along with her Carmello hybrid. How much do you think you got from each plant of the italian pompeii? Also did you eat any fresh and if so do they really have fresh eating qualities?
Molly Day said…
Well, I'm terrible at keeping track of the answers to your questions.

I can guesstimate that we canned a few dozen quarts of Pompeii as whole tomatoes, plus pints of marinara sauce.

We also take bags of produce to the local kitchen that feeds transients - no way to track the volume - plus we give to friends and neighbors.

I like Roma type tomatoes for eating and the Pompeii are delicious. They are virtually juice free, all meat.

They grill well, too, because they don't cook wet.

Popular posts from this blog

Moldy Tulip Bulbs

Propagate Begonia Stem Cuttings in water - Cane-like Angel Wing Begonia

Cold-hardy Gardenias for zone 7