Montreal writer, Arin Murphy-Hiscock is the author of "Power Spellcraft for Life", "Wicca for Life", "The Way of the Green Witch", "The Way of the Hedge Witch", "Pagan Pregnancy", and now two new books, "Birds: a spiritual field guide 'Explore the Symbology and Significance of These Divine Winged Messengers'" and "Birds a spiritual journal 'Record the Symbology and Significance of These Divine Winged Messengers'".
Here's an example - The book has sentences, I'm just jotting notes from the text to give a sense of it.
- Pelican, Species: Pelecanus erythrorhynchos
- Lives in central Canada, central and western U.S. and Mexico.
- Live by inland and coastal bodies of water
- Interesting facts: Live in colonies and are social. Fish in groups, etc.
- Myths, folklore and cultural associations (this is where the author's knowledge shines)
- Hatchlings were thought to drink blood from their mother's breast, leading to the Christian use of pelicans ans a symbol of atonement and self-sacrifice. Can also stand as a symbol for Christ.
- Pelican was "representative of the fourth of the five stages of alchemy, an ancient science of transmutation of basic elements into gold and to discover the secret of eternal life"
Omens and divinatory meaning
"...reminds you of many things, among them the need to give selflessly to others. Have you been miserly lately? ...."
"...encourages you to examine your parenting style. Are you giving too much of yourself? ...."
then follows Associated energies, seasons, element and color.
What kind of bird brought you a message/had a message for you today?
How were you feeling before the sighting?
Were your feelings or mood transformed once you had the encounter?
Murphy-Hiscock writes about self-transformation through a variety of approaches that are non-traditional but that work for millions of people. Her website is fascinating and her services are primarily writing and editing.
Both books ($15 and $20) were published Jan, 2012, by Adams Media