BUILD AN ISLAND OUT OF BOTTLES AND LIVE ON IT
On the green living blog, ECOBLE there is a fascinating story about a man in Mexico who built his idea of paradise on 250,000 recycled plastic bottles.
Richie Sowa built it first in 1998, but Spiral Island was destroyed by a hurricane.
The island is classified as a ship, so it is allowed to float in Mexico's waters. On September 7, 2007 the new Spiral Islander social network utility was opened to the public.
Click here to see the blog entry and the video that accompanies the story.
NANCY SZERLAG RECOMMENDS GARDENING MAGAZINES
Master Gardener, Nancy Szerlag, writes a garden column for the Detroit News. Since my column this week is about gifts for gardeners, I was curious about her recommendations.
Her suggestions are magazines and completely different from mine, so I will list them for you. The link above is to the entire column so you can get more details about the magazines.
- Chicagoland Gardening (866) 806-1498, www.chicagolandgardening.com. $17.95/6 issues.
- The American Gardener (800) 777-7931, www.ahs.org. $35/6 issues.
- Fine Gardening (800) 888-8286, www.taunton .com. $29.95/6 issues.
- Horticulture (877) 860-9146, www.hortmag .com. $19/7 issues.
- The American Rose (800) 637-6534, www.ars.org. $49/6 issues.
- Garden Design (800) 513-0848, www.gardendesignmag.com. $23.95/6 issues.
- Garden Gate (800) 978-9631, www.GardenGateMagazine.com. $20/6 issues.
- The Michigan Gardener (248) 594-5563, $16/8 issues.
- Bird Watcher's Digest (800) 879-2473, www.birdwatchersdigest .com. $19.95/6 issues.
It's December and there isn't much gardening to do right now. A new magazine could cheer up any gardener's spirits.